Saturday, December 31, 2011

Happy New Year

As we start to enter a brand new year I wanted to say a few words of wisdom and encouragement, as much for my few readers as for myself. I need to remember these things as much as anyone these days.

Remember the bad, but don't harp on it or let it bring you down. I know this seems like an odd thing and against what most people say (i.e. Forget the bad, remember the good), but hard times and bad times are what brings growth in our lives. We need adversity in order to overcome it.

Remember the good times, but don't always yearn for their return. We cant go backwards and spending too much time harping on how things used to be will only serve to drive us crazy and miss the new potential good times.

Help each other. We have all been in a place where we needed help, whether we asked for it or not. Usually the people who will refuse to ask for help, need it the most. Be observant and help when you can within your means.

Don't forget about you! It is impossible to take care of each other when our own needs aren't met. We all need time to recharge our batteries. Get a massage, go out to dinner, go shopping, go out with friends, whatever makes you feel like YOU again.

Don't stay mad. This is a hard one for me. When my feelings get hurt I tend to hold a grudge. I don't want to let go of it. But anger hurts us more than it does the person we are angry at.

Let love decide what you say. Do not speak out of anger or hurt. Words can be hurtful and while the scars they leave my be invisible, they hurt just as much. Its better to walk away from a fight than to say something you will later regret.

(This one is for my amazing hubby) Any good day is a day that you learn something and accomplish something. Strive to see every day what you have learned and accomplish. This sometimes means celebrating small accomplishments but thats ok!! Sometimes we need to be reminded that small hills are still hills.

I hope everyone has an amazing New Year. Every day is a new beginning. The first step is always the hardest, but once you get moving, no one can stop you! :)

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for this! I'm so proud of you. You have so much wisdom and truth and it resounds throughout your every action and the way you handle adversity. You are AWESOME,my darling daughter!

    ReplyDelete